POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : Mesh etc. : Re: Mesh etc. Server Time
2 Jun 2024 10:36:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mesh etc.
From: Jim Charter
Date: 7 Mar 2004 19:22:16
Message: <404bbcb8$1@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> But now, the current machines have enough RAM to digest gigantic meshes
> without complaining so that primitives have become much less competitive.
> This is why, for instance, my Maketree objects are no longer interesting,
> since we have POV-Tree, which exports in mesh (with a better algorithm) and
> allows the creation of entire forests thanks to mesh instanciation.

This concept still confuses me.

//case 1: mesh instantiation:
//create tree
#declare SomeTree =
mesh {
	triangle {}
	triangle {}
	triangle {}
	texture T
}
//create forest
LOOP 10000 TIMES
	object { SomeTree translate RandomLocation }
ENDLOOP

//case 2: primitive instantiation
//create tree
#declare SomeTree =
union {
	cone {}
	sphere {}
	triangle {}
	texture T
}
//create forest

LOOP 10000 TIMES
	object { SomeTree translate RandomLocation }
ENDLOOP

How is it that case 1 gets a performance/memory gain and case 2 doesn't?
Especially since, as I found out recently, every intersection of a mesh
element spawns a texture calculation anyway, up to a limit of 100.

> The big remaining issue for hobbyists, however, is uv-mapping. AFAIK there
> is no free uv-mapping tool allowing real-time 3D painting and some
> automatisation for vertex unwrapping (such as the expensive Bodypaint).
> Until we have such a tool, mapping will remain a limitation for mesh users.

I take it that real-time 3D painting obviates the need for uv coordinate
unwrapping by hand?